Introduction

 Greetings! 

I am Sebastion, a freshman in college working towards a BA in Fine Arts. As a former military brat, I was afforded the opportunity to live in several countries and was exposed to a myriad of artistic styles and expressions. Growing up around cultures both familiar and foreign left a lasting impact on me and taught me to appreciate the exciting diversity of human expression. As a child, I loved to draw and eventually discovered painting. These two mediums have continued to capture my attention throughout the years, but my hope is to expand into other styles of art, such as sculpting and digital art. There are as many ways to express yourself through art as there are lived experiences and I would love to learn as many of them as I can. One of my favorite styles in art is the mundane, sometimes unnoticed pieces that surround us. Signs and graffiti, subtle architecture and shapes--all of them tell emotional stories and help shape how we view our world. I also deeply enjoy ancient artworks and learning about the connections we still have to those long-lost worlds. My hope with this blog is to grow my understanding and deep appreciation of artwork in ways I've yet been able to as I share my journey.

Art From the Met

Unknown. “Head: Babylonian: Neo-Babylonian.” The Metropolitan Museum of Art, 2000, www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/326621.

Comments

  1. Welcome to the class! We won't be covering much of ancient art in this class - but you could do an exploration of ancient works in the Non-Western assignment. Observe - The facial is so stylized that it is almost an icon - like the men and women's icons for restrooms. Those neat and perfect circles - gets the idea across, but isn't even trying to be realistic. Same with the eyes. They are a bit more realistic, but still a symbolic representation of the eye.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baroque, The Powerful Successor of the Renaissance: Francesco Borromini's San Carlino

Italian Renaissance: Sofonisba Anguissola